Sunday, February 8, 2009

Freedom of speech has its costs...

What does it take for a person to really have freedom in their lives? We're a country that's always noting that we have so many advantages as citizens yet I've never really taken the time to think about what is done to give me these rights. After reading this chapter, many different thoughts have been brought to my atention that I never really would have thought about otherwise. The fact that we are granted the abilities to own multiple guns if we wanted to and can make a blog about nearly anything is really something that can't be done throughout the world.

Of course there are certain events that occur that enable us to have these freedoms, including the fact that we are governed by an elected leader. If we were really "free" and didn't have to answer to anybody, the country would be in complete chaos. Because we are required to answer to somebody, they are able to establish rules that make the liberties we're granted so great. Sometimes people complain that they're not able to always say what they want or do what they want; however they are actually unaware what goes on to grant them these rights. Although we have limitations to our freedoms, it is because of these restrictions that our country is free, and I am thankful more and more each day because of them.

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree with everything you said. could you imagine for a second the kind of country this would be with self-governance?.....scary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think without our laws and government in place we wouldn't be a united country at all and to go on i agree with your idea that we need our freedoms as well; that is what makes us Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The fact that we are granted the abilities to own multiple guns if we wanted to and can make a blog about nearly anything is really something that can't be done throughout the world." I really like your quote here because it's so true. I think sometimes we take for granted everything that this country has to offer us and how many countries around the world do not allow the freedoms we are endowed with.

    ReplyDelete